Monday, August 5, 2013

"I've been working on the Death Star, All the live-long day..."

So sorry for the hiatus.  And sorry that we won't be discussing "A Plea for Captain John Brown".  In my defense, I have been out of sorts.  I discovered that my wife was unfaithful several months back, and have been coping with her betrayal and our divorce proceedings.  Anyway, that is not what I am here to share.

Today was my first day on a jobsite at a location that I think I shouldn't disclose.  Suffice to say that it is in the Midwest and it is a sprawling corporate campus.  My employer is contracted to supply and install some hand-woven stainless steel handrail mesh in one of the buildings.  So that's what I'll be working on for the next few weeks.  This is a remarkable jobsite.  I couldn't hazard a guess at the number of workers present, but it easily dwarfs any other job I've been on.

The structure that my coworkers and I are working in is some sort of massive, massive subterranean amphitheater with offices and conference rooms to boot.  It is multiple stories tall (or deep) and due to the shape of the amphitheater it has a convex concourse.  Anyway, it feels like I'm working on the Death Star.  It's literally so large and industrial looking that one easily becomes lost in the hallways and access corridors.  There are maps posted to the walls so that you can find your way out.  Our liaison said that it took him about a month to become familiar with it.  It took us multiple tries and finally asking directions in order to escape for lunch.  It's very funny to me.  I would post pictures if I were permitted, but you know the Galactic Empire's policy on leaked schematics of their battle stations...

No comments:

Post a Comment