Tuesday, January 20, 2015

A gentle rain in a drought



                I had a lucid dream last night.  It was probably one of my least spectacular lucid dreams, but it has come after a terrible dry spell for me.  Life changes and stress have conspired to upset my focus on lucid dreaming and I haven’t recorded a dream in my dream journal for probably a year or more.  So needless to say, becoming lucid last night is a big deal to me.  Here’s the dream:
                I’m in the guest bathroom at my parents’ house (where I live because I am a failure in most ways) and I’ve just had a nasty verbal fight with my father (something that happens regularly in my dreams, but not in waking life).  It’s a very small bathroom and the dream version is a very close approximation to the waking version.  Something causes me to question my reality so I administer the blow check and … TA DA!  I’m dreaming!  The realization causes a few ripples of instability in the dream, but I quickly bring myself under control and start thinking stability.  Like a boss, I immediately remember that looking at one’s hands is not only a method for stabilizing the dream, but also a trippy exercise for its own sake.  I examine my hands, and they don’t seem terribly unusual.  I think my fingers were rendered in the correct numbers, but some of the lengths are a bit off.
                Next I start thinking about what I want to do with this lucidity.  I notice the mirror is right where it ought to be, and of course I have wanted to experiment with mirrors in my dreamworld for years despite a mild fear of what horror I may see in my reflection.  I strode over to the mirror and saw a more or less normal looking reflection.  I don’t think it was a very faithful recreation of my actual reflection, but neither was it grotesque or absurd.  After this non-event, I thought again about what I wished to experience.  Flying came to mind, but I didn’t want to awaken by smashing violently through the ceiling as has happened to me in the past, so I made a rather half-hearted attempt at gentle levitation, to no avail.  Soon I was lured back into the dream state by an abrupt change of scenery, and so my lucidity came to an end.
                I’ll post any more notable dreams here as a way to hold myself accountable.  If you are interested in dreaming or lucidity or anything else, really, please leave me a comment or send me a message.

No comments:

Post a Comment