Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Patriot (n) one who fervently asserts the belief that one’s government is incapable of error, disregarding all previous experience and evidence to the contrary, whilst paying any and all taxes levied upon oneself and refusing to consider the possibility that one’s government is growing out of control


I just heard yesterday about the new NSA data center in Utah.  And now that I typed that sentence, I suppose the NSA’s digital file on me just grew slightly.  This monstrosity (here’s a link) literally serves no other purpose than to beef up the NSA’s ability to monitor, examine, and store digital information.  And it’s expensive.   Costing between $2 and $4 billion to construct and furnish, and another $20,000,000 per year to operate, it literally creates a few dozen jobs, mostly maintenance and security.  Regardless of one’s view on government, I think it is fair to assert that the government will make use of the tools we give it, and if we give them bigger, shinier, tools, they will make use of them to greater effect.

If these dudes were already trampling our constitutional rights without this immensely powerful surveillance tool, then are we really expected to believe that their infringements will not increase in scope now?  Oh yeah, and isn’t our country running a frighteningly large deficit right now?  Seems like maybe we should balance the budget before building multi-billion dollar oppression factories.

Apparently Utah was chosen in part because of the “patriotism” of Utahans.  God help me if the NSA ever approvingly describes me as patriotic. 

No comments:

Post a Comment